Tuesday, 27 January 2009

Australia (lots of vintage cars) Day

There's always something going on here and one of the most exciting "goings on" this week was Australia Day. For those of you that don't know Australia Day, also known as Anniversary Day and Foundation Day, is the official national day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, the day commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788, the unfurling of the British flag at Sydney Cove and the proclamation of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia (yes, I've been revising for my citizenship exam)......



There was lots going on, but it seems that the way most people celebrate Australia Day is by looking at vintage cars... lots of vintage cars..... I have no idea what these have to do with "flag unfurling" and "first fleets" and neither did any of the people I asked.....

It was a very enjoyable day, despite the rain (yes, seriously it rained). If I find out about the significance of the cars I'll be sure let you know.....




No comments:

Post a Comment