Saturday, 19 December 2009

Trevor and His Amazing Cigarette Lighter

Melbourne is famous for lots of things: coffee, good food, The Melbourne Cup, four seasons in one day..... but not many people have been to Melbourne and experienced TREVOR.



As part of my trip (thanks to Helen and Jock!), I went on a tour of the botanical gardens, led by Trevor, the half Irish half Aboriginal resident guide. He told us lots interesting things including:

Which native shrubs to eat when feeling a bit peckish...


Which trees to hug to keep you cool in summer.....


And some natural ways to help you feel sleepy?!?

Trevor also welcomed us all with a traditional Aboriginal "smoking" ceremony. I got ready to be really impressed with the way that he created fire by rubbing two sticks together. Unfortunately he couldn't make the sticks work and used his very own cigarette lighter instead. Oh well.


The highlight of the trip was seeing a play with two of my favourite Australian actors from the series "RUSH" - excellent programme, excellent play. The worst part of the trip was coming home to an email from Sally saying her and Matt are moving to Melbourne just as I'm about to leave Australia!



At least I can give them some Melbourne recommendations....

No comments:

Post a Comment